Many guests never get in a vehicle during their stay with us; there’s plenty to do right onsite. When your backyard is one of the most beautiful around, it’s pretty hard to beat.
Here’s a list of some of our “vehicle free” activities:
- Day hike or bike up The Old Ghost Road.
- Fish for brown trout for days on end in one of New Zealand’s purest rivers (please bring your own gear and fishing license).
- Pan for gold in the riversand; the Mokihinui is known for its nuggets!
- Mountain bike local roads to the renowned Charming Creek Walkway (BYO bikes!).
- Bike to the Tasman Sea (30-minute ride), be a beach bum, then cycle back along the Chasm Creek Walkway.
- Swim in The Pool. It’s 40 feet deep and (often) crystal clear.
Things to Do Within a Short, Scenic Drive.
- Hike, run or bike the Charming Creek Walkway from either end;
- Visit the Karamea area, 45 minutes north and truly the end of the road. There, you can walk in a short way to one of the finest beaches on the Heaphy Track, and explore the fascinating limestone arches and caves systems of the Oparara Basin.
- Explore the historic Denniston plateau, rich in relics, burning mines and mountain biking & four wheel driving opportunities;
- Four wheel drive the old forestry roads in the Charming Creek area for hours. If you love mud, they’re heaven!
- Visit our friendly local pubs and cafés in Seddonville and Granity;
- Visit the famous Tauranga Bay Seal Colony and Cape Foulwind Walkway;
- Find a possie and whitebait some of the Coast’s most famous rivers.
- Drive or bike to the Mokihinui river-mouth, visit the shipwreck, fossick for driftwood and walk the beach – usually empty for miles on end.